Friday, January 3, 2014

36 Week Update

This week has gone very well. I had a few moments of momzilla in my mind towards the guy who rents a room from us due to his continued incredible lack of courtesy, however he went back to his job at the boy's ranch so I'll have a few weeks of the house to myself.

I also used some of the Christmas money this week to treat myself to my twice yearly haircut. (Don't worry, all but $40 of the Christmas money went straight into savings.) A few months before Jacob and I got married, (two years ago this month to be specific) I had a mishap involving an inexperienced hairdresser and bleach which resulted in a pixie cut. See below:


Jacob, being a man, hated it. He absolutely hated it. He made me promise to at least try to grow my hair out to the length it was when we started dating. My hair was right at bra strap length at that point in my life, and it was the longest it had ever been then. I didn't quite make it that far, but not from lack of trying. My hair hadn't gained any length in almost three months, despite being trimmed every six weeks and treated with love and respect. I hadn't dyed it since May, I had been deep conditioning it, I'm taking prenatal vitamins, I'm pregnant: all things that should have made it grow like crazy. It just wouldn't.

So I decided to go back to short, in specific to a hair style that was my "signature" style for more than a year and that I had been missing terribly. Jacob wasn't fond of the idea of me cutting it, but I explained that I needed a style that would allow me to get out of the shower and be done, where long hair took styling every day, and he seemed to understand. He's still not too happy, though. I have my wonderfully choppy, asymmetric hair back!

We also treated ourselves to a date night for New Year's Eve, since who knows when we'll get one again. I'll probably be taking Jacob out for his 21st birthday next week, but I'm not even sure we'll do that.

We had Christmas with his family last night, and my homemade gifts seemed to go over very well with the nieces and nephews. I made Asher a cape, and crocheted him a red t-rex with a matching cape. I crocheted Zimrie a hat and a green t-rex with a bowtie. I crocheted Hattie a hat, a stuffed owl, and a kitty in a tutu. Now that I know I can do amigurumi fairly well, I'm addicted!

I swallowed my pride applied for WIC today, and I regret not doing it sooner. I know some people will judge us for it, but we need it. We've needed it the whole time I've been pregnant, since we struggle so much to make ends meet, I just couldn't swallow my pride enough to go. It is such a blessing, though. Jacob and I have to live off of roughly $50 of groceries a month, since that's all we have left of our paychecks after bills and gas and such. $50 doesn't go very far, but it's been enough to keep us from starving. I have gone my entire pregnancy taking calcium supplements because I'm lactose intolerant, and we couldn't afford to buy soy milk when it only comes in half gallons that cost the same amount as a gallon of cow's milk. But now we get 4 1/2 gallons of it a month. The same goes for fresh fruits and veggies. I've just bought frozen stuff when it goes on sale, since it lasts so long in the freezer, but now we get fresh veggies. I had a free breast feeding consultation and class today, which is something I haven't been able to afford. Jacob is getting his TDAP for free, when we hadn't been able to get that vaccine for him since he doesn't have insurance.

I just feel so blessed that we can get this help, especially as we adjust to living off of $800 a month for three people.

Jacob started student teaching yesterday, which is very exciting!

I had my 36 week appointment yesterday, as well. It was the first doctor's appointment I have ever had by myself, and let me tell you, I was terrified. I lost five pounds in the last week, which Dr. Allison was not happy about, but that was due to the timing of the last appointment, I'm sure. My blood pressure was high at the start of the appointment, but had gone down by the end, so they weren't worried. I had a strep B culture (bleh!) and my first internal exam to check my cervix. 

I lost my mucus plug on Wednesday, and she confirmed that that is true. I'm dilated to 2 1/2 cm, but she said my cervix is still fairly hard. Her estimate is that I'll be holding a baby within two weeks. I am freaking out, because the house is not ready. I haven't baby proofed. I haven't deep cleaned. Her nursery still doesn't have curtains, or a crib skirt, or the bed made. I don't have anywhere near enough baby clothes. I seriously only have four pairs of socks for her. Four. We have all of three newborn onesies, and one newborn sleeper. AND we only have three 0-3 month sleepers and ten onesies, and nothing else. Like, literally nothing. Jacob was so paranoid all we would get is clothes from the showers but we got next to none. I'm just freaking out.


How far along? 36 weeks
Total weight gain: I weighed in at 214.
Maternity clothes? Starting to get too tight

Have you started to show yet: You tell me!


Stretch marks? My old ones have started to darken and lengthen, and look generally horrifying. Like, seriously. Pardon the weird angle and the fact that the belly band of my maternity jeans is digging into my fat, but here's a picture of them:


I've started to develop a couple smaller ones near my belly button, as well.


Sleep: Growing rare by the day
Best moment this week: Hair cut!

Miss Anything? Not being pregnant
Movement: She's slowed down some with her movements, I think because she's so big.
Food cravings: None

Anything making you queasy or sick: Nothing
Gender: GIRL!

Labor Signs: I lost my mucus plug, and I've been nesting!
Symptoms: Backaches, headaches, heartburn, swollen hands and feet, Braxton Hicks, not sleeping, nesting
Belly Button in or out? It's very close to popping out
Wedding rings on or off? Off. I have it on a necklace

Happy or Moody most of the time: Back and forth. I've been pretty happy.
Looking forward to: Meeting Emmy


No comments:

Post a Comment